HISTORY of the establishment of the Panti Rapih Hospital, on Jalan Cik Di Tiro 30 Yogyakarta, is inseparable from the history of the development of the Catholic church in Yogyakarta. In 1914 the good news of the Kingdom of God began to be known by the citizens of Yogyakarta with the commencement of Catholic religious studies in the home of R.P. Himawidjaja (father of Mgr A. Djajasepoetro, SJ). The missionaries with students from Xaverius College Muntilan with a high spirit of encouragement were able to make Yogyakarta an attractive area to develop. In 1917 Standaart-School was established as the first Catholic educational institution in Yogyakarta. Over time, Catholic education institutions in Yogyakarta have increasingly developed.
From these encouraging developments, the missionaries wanted to develop their work for indigenous people by building hospitals. To realize this goal, the Yogyakarta Church management established a relationship with the Franciscan Sisters to be willing to manage the hospital. But because of the choice of the Franciscan Sisters to concentrate in the field of education, the offer was forced to be rejected. In 1921 the Yogyakarta Church administrators decided to ask for help from the Sisters Carolus Borromeus, who was based in Maastricht, the Netherlands, to manage the hospital. This decision is most likely due to the existence of Ir. Julius Robert Anton Marie Schmutzer is a lay leader and administrator of Gondang Lipoero Ganjuran Bantul who has a close relationship with the Congregation of the Sisters of CB because of his wife, Mrs. C. T.M. Schmutzer, student of a nurse school run by CB Sisters in the Netherlands.
The starting point of the establishment of Panti Rapih Hospital was the establishment of the "Onder de Bogen" foundation or in Dutch Onder de Bogen Stichting by the Yogyakarta Church administrators on February 22, 1927. Signs of the physical construction of the hospital began with the laying of the first stone by Mrs. C. T.M. Schmutzer van Rijckevorsel on September 14, 1928.
In January 1929, came the five Sisters of Charity of St. Carolus Borromeus from the Netherlands. They are the Gaudentia Brand Moeder, Sr. Yudith de Laat, Sr. Ignatia Lemmens, Sr. Simonia, and Sr. Ludolpha de Groot. Because the building was not finished, the five sisters were entrusted to the OSF Sister Monastery in Yogyakarta.
The construction of the hospital was finally completed in mid-August 1929 and on August 24, 1929 Mgr. A.P.F van Velse, SJ is pleased to bless the building. On September 14, 1929 the hospital was officially opened by Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono VIII under the name "Onder de Bogen" Hospital.
A few years later Sri Sultan Hamengku Buwono VIII was pleased to present an ambulance as a tribute to the service of the indigenous people.
The building adorned with arches and the name Onder de Bogen makes it a complete nostalgia for the CB Sisters who served in this hospital will be the mother of the convent of the Sisters of CB in Maastricht the Netherlands.
The sisters serve and care for the sick, alleviate the suffering of others according to the teachings of the gospel regardless of religion and nation. Little by little the sufferers come in and the longer it increases and the number increases. Most of these sufferers were Dutch officials and relatives of the Kraton.
Meanwhile, poor and weak people cannot enjoy hospital services. The sisters became concerned and felt dissatisfied with this, because for the small people, the poor and the weak they came to serve in this archipelago. Therefore the General Chairman of the Sisters of CB in Maastricht urged the Management of the Onder de Bogen Foundation to provide facilities to serve the poor and the poor. But what is the power, the Onder de Bogen Foundation does not have enough funds for that. Through the helping hand of the Congregation of Brothers FIC, who were pleased to help build a special ward for people who could not afford it, which was then named Bangsal Theresia.
Day after day, the number of sufferers who come is increasing. Facilities must also be added and developed to offset service needs. In 1942 the Japanese came to colonize this beloved Indonesia. In a short time, great suffering soon swept across Indonesia. Onder de Bogen Hospital is also unavoidable from this suffering. Hospital management is chaotic. The hospital's financial situation is really sad: just routine costs must be covered with all the hard work.
Meanwhile the Dutch Sisters were interned and were put in Japanese prison camps. And at that moment the most poignant came; Onder de Bogen hospital was taken over as a Japanese government hospital. Dr. The Central Director of the Hospital was transferred to Bethesda Hospital, which was also taken over by the Japanese government. The head of the hospital was handed over to Sr. Sponsari, and Mother Yvonne were appointed as General Authorities for CB Sisters in Indonesia. The hospital situation is getting worse.
The Japanese government also wants all things including language, which smells of Dutch, not to be used throughout the Indonesian earth. Also not spared the name of this hospital must be replaced by an indigenous name. Mgr. Alb. Soegijopranoto, SJ, Bishop of the Semarang Diocese, is pleased to give the new name "Panti Rapih Hospital", which means the Healing House.
After the Japanese occupation, Sang Dwi Warna, Red and White, flew and the CB Sisters returned to Panti Rapih Hospital. With the spirit of love, they took care of the Indonesian independence fighters, including the Chief Commander of the Indonesian Armed Forces, General Sudirman. When Sr. Benvunito - a CB Sister who cared for General Sudirman - commemorated even twenty-five years in charge, Commander-in-Chief General Sudirman was pleased to assemble a beautiful and hand-written poem with beautiful decorations specifically for Sister Benvunito and Panti Rapih Hospital. The poem, entitled RUMAH NAN BAHAGIA, is still stored well.
After Indonesian sovereignty was recognized by the international community, the Panti Rapih Hospital was also increasingly known and gained the trust of the community. More and more sufferers who come and are treated at Panti Rapih Hospital. To compensate for this, the management of the Foundation and the Sisters planned to expand the building and add facilities that turned out to require substantial funding and funding. The CB Sisters and the Foundation Managers try their hardest to get funding, both from the Government and from Catholics. Just to add funds, the Sisters made paintings and other handwork for sale. For the services and efforts of Marcus Mangoentijoso, who served as the Foundation Management at that time, considerable assistance was received from the Government of the Republic of Indonesia through the Aid Fund Foundation, which could be used to build the Albertus ward, the Jacquard ward and the General Polyclinic.
Step by step, in accordance with the arrival of the Panti Rapih Hospital's assistance, it provided itself with facilities that should be owned by a hospital, both medical equipment, supporting unit equipment, and new ward buildings and polyclinics.
To be able to further extend the reach of services to small communities, especially rural residents, the Yogyakarta Panti Rapih Hospital opened a branch in the form of a Maternity Home and Medical Center in the Pakem area and in the Kalasan area. Especially for weak and poor citizens who really need hospital services, the PUSPITA ward was opened, which stands for "Center for Spirituality".